6. Use case: creating a data offer
Companies are currently underutilizing most of the IoT data they collect. The terabytes and petabytes of data that are being generated by factories, cities, vehicles, retail, etc., quickly pile up and it gets difficult to benefit from this flood of information. One effective way for them to put this data to work and monetize its value is to make metainformation about their data available on data marketplaces. These marketplaces help data providers richly furnish their data with metainformation so that it can be discovered easily by consumers in the search results. The metainformation that the provider may choose to supply could be sample data, sector of industry, location, keywords, data source type, description of the data, impressions, sample use cases, documentation, time and date, etc.
DIH is a data marketplace that provides self-service technology and infrastructure to the data provider so they can create data offers and exchange data with consumers in a sovereign manner. All while complying with legal requirements.
In past chapters we covered how to search and make use of the datasets from the [Marketplace]. In this chapter, we will cover how to create your own data offer to supply it on the DIH [Marketplace].
Before you continue, ensure that the data you want to offer is well prepared, with a good description and examples of use to help others find your data offer on the [Marketplace]. To create a data offer, you must first ensure that you are logged into the DIH as a premium user (section 3.2).
- Navigate your way to [Control Center] > [Offers]
- Click on “+ Create new offer”to create a data offer for the Marketplace.This should call up an overlay asking you to fill the details about the data offer. There 6 sections in the data offer creation process and we will visit them in detail.
- As you fill out the information in the overlay box, you will see the gray indicator turn red, yellow, and green. Each of these colors indicate the extent to which the various sections have been completed.The gray indicates that nothing has been filled out. The yellow indicates that the information is partially filled out, and the green indicates that the information is sufficiently filled out.
For illustrative purposes, we are using screenshots of a pre-existing data offer to explain the details.
- General information
- Enter a title and description for your offer.
This is the icon that will be displayed beside the offer title in the Marketplace. You therefore need to complete the following steps to display the desired icon for your data offer:
- Prepare an icon for your offer using a .jpg, .jpeg, or .png. file
- The icon can be uploaded via the Choose file button or simply by drag and drop.
- Upload the icon from your computer or server (drag and drop, select file)
- Selection: you may select from (previously uploaded) icons
- If you have not assigned particular icons, they will be displayed at random.
Here you can select the data that will be part of the offer.
- In this list you will find the data that is currently part of the offer. To remove a file or source from an offer, remove the mark from the checkbox by clicking on it. The entry will move to the ‘More data/Available data’ section.
- To make it easier to find the files and sources belonging to an offer, you can sort the entries (Name (A – Z/Z – A; Origin: Connector/Upload).
- Please confirm that you have the rights to publish all the components within the data offer.
More data/Available data:
- Use this folder to select the data components that will form the offer.
- To add a file or source to an offer, click the checkbox next to it. The entry will move to the ‘Included data’ section.
Add new data:
- Select ‘Add new data’ to add new data from your computer or API endpoint as an offer or an empty data source.
- When you upload, it will be automatically saved in the Data section of your organization account.
- You may also use the advanced settings to annotate the data with Time reference, Geospatial reference, and
Provide data samples and examples of use to showcase your offer.
Examples of use:
- Describe a typical usage scenario for your data offer and provide a title for the example.
- Select or upload an image to illustrate your example of use.
Upload images from your own server or computer – or select from images you have already uploaded to the Data Intelligence Hub.
- Upload a data sample from your own server or computer – or select from data samples you already uploaded to the Data Intelligence Hub.
- If your sample data contains latitude and longitude information, you can turn on the map preview option and further annotate the data. This will display the Map module in the data offer preview tab.
If your data source is an API endpoint, you can either provide the URL for the API documentation or, you can also upload the documentation as a PDF.
- Meta information
Enter further information that makes it easier to find your offer.
Here you select the organizational unit you belong to. Organizational units are typically the sub-units of a parent organization. However, you do not have to choose an organizational unit in order to post a data offer. This would simply indicate that you posted the data offer as a member of the parent organization.
Enter the keywords for the search function in the [Marketplace] (free text). Below the text field you will find keywords which have previously been entered; you can remove these by clicking ‘x’.
Help prospective visitors by naming a contact person for your offer, making it possible for them to get in touch.
If you add a topic to your offer via the dropdown menu, you will make your offer easier to find in the Marketplace.
Here you can further annotate your data as a key value pair and delete irrelevant pairs.
- What are the licensing terms for your offer: for sale or just for a specific project, static with one-time download, with or without planned updates, or as a dynamic data stream for a specific time period?
- Select from previously uploaded licenses or upload a new license (drag and drop, select file), PDF format only.
You determine who can see and use your offer (standard setting: everyone)
You can select: all authorized organizations, only registered organizations, all registered users, all users and visitors (including the public Marketplace).
Will your offer be available for a limited or unlimited time period: enter the beginning and end dates for the desired timeframe.
Choose between three different ordering methods. Order directly, Request quote, or Informal request.
As you start filling out the information in each of the sections, you will notice that the gray dots turn yellow and green. After making sure you have entered all the information required to make your data offer attractive to your customers, you can go ahead and click on the Publish button. Your data offer will be created, and a condensed version will be displayed in an overlay. You can now create another offer, use this as a template, or go back to the Offers overview. Your new offer is now visible in the Offers overview.
Click on View your offer link to view your offer on the DIH Marketplace.