5. Use case: obtaining data from the Marketplace
Data exchange and data marketplace: data offers from the Data Intelligence Hub are posted in the [Marketplace]. The [Marketplace] provides access to data offers (a) via categories and (b) via a search function. Each data offer is displayed in a separate tile and contains the most crucial information or metadata, such as title, provider, date of update, available formats (CSV, geoJSON, JSON, XML, zip, pdf, etc.,), usage fee, and duration. Users can find suitable offers by using a keyword search. Search results can be filtered if a large number of hits are found. The desired data offer can be purchased by clicking on the Order button in the detailed view of the data offer. The sections below explain these steps in detail.
In the overview you will find:
- A pre-selection of trending data offers
- Open data offers
- Topic-based categories with the number of offers they contain
The most important information is contained in the brief summary of the offers (tiles):
- Date of update
- Available formats (csv, geoJSON, JSON, xml, zip, pdf, etc.)
- Usage fee
- License attribution
What can be viewed in the [Marketplace] of the DIH differs according to your user group:
- When logged-in as a team member of an organization, you can see all [Marketplace] offers and order them, depending on your user rights.
- With a personal account, regardless of whether you belong to the team of a registered organization or have only registered as an individual user, you will see data offers that are made visible to registered members of the DIH.
- As a user who is not logged in to the DIH, you will see data offers that are made public and are free of charge, which you can order after registering.
5.1 Searching for data offers
You can find matching offers using a keyword search:
If your search does not return any results,
- check that you have spelled the search term correctly
- try it with
- fewer search terms
- a superordinate search term
You can also browse through recently posted data offers simply by clicking on the View all button on the [Marketplace] page, and refine them using filters:
You can also filter your search results by clicking on a filter above the search results and defining your preferred parameters:
- Formats, Time period, Subject area, More filters
- Within More filters, you can also search by License types and Region
Set one or more checkmarks in the filter selection menus. Next to each option, the number of corresponding available offers is displayed.
With this filter, you can limit the search results according to time period:
as soon as you click on one of the date fields, a calendar view will open.
Define the desired period by
- using the arrow buttons to choose the month in the current year and selecting your start and end date in these months.
- If your desired period is more than a year, click on the month in the first calendar view – you will see a list with years. Select a year, then a new list will open showing the months in this year.
- The first day of the selected month is your starting point. Proceed as before to select the end point in the second calendar. The last day of the month selected there is your end point. By clicking on a date in the month view, you can then define a specific start and end date.
This dropdown menu displays all the subject areas that your search term is relevant to. You can check the box next to the relevant topic to further refine the search for your desired dataset.
Depending on the size of your screen, one or more filters can be seen. If your screen is small, you might only see the first filter, i.e., Formats, and the remaining would be grouped into the More filters overlay menu. To further refine very large numbers of results, click on “More filters” at the right-hand side of the bar.
This will open an overlay with additional filters including License types and Region, which you can use to further refine very large numbers of results. You can use the License types filter straight away. If you would like to filter your results by region, however, you need to set the set the slider to ON.
With this filter, you can limit the search results to the spatial reference of the data contained within those offers. To do this, zoom in with “+” and “–” and move the map displayed with the cursor. For example, if you zoom in on Germany it would only display offers that are tagged with a city within that spatial reference.
Confirm the selection by clicking the Apply filter button. Click on Cancel at the bottom of the overlay to reject the settings. The overlay closes and you are returned to the page with the (if applicable, filtered) offers.
Sort the results
You can sort the results list by Relevant, Latest, or Popular by clicking on the corresponding links.
Removing and changing filters
Click on the “X” next to a filter to remove it so offers without this restriction are once again displayed in your results list.
You can remove all other filters by clicking on the “X” next to “More filters”. To change just a few of the additional filters, click on “More filters”. The overlay will open again. Here you can adapt or completely remove all other filters and “Apply” your changes.
5.2 Data offers – individual view
The detailed view of an offer contains the familiar summary at the top:
- Open data or commercial
- Date of Creation
- Date of Update
- Data Formats (csv, geoJSON, JSON, xml, zip, pdf etc.,)
- License type (cc-by, iodl, opendata, opengov, national etc.,)
- Terms (free or price tag)
Using the tab navigation, you can find more detailed information on the data offer:
This is where you will find detailed sections such as Offer description, Keywords, Subject area, Impressions, Examples of application, and images.
If the data provider supplies sample data, you can switch between different display options here:
- Raw data
The Map tab will be made available if the dataset contains information about the Latitude and Longitude.
Here you will find (if supplied by the data provider)
- Files and/or links to documentation
- A list of included datasets in the offer (can be sorted by clicking on the column header)
- Information on origin and topicality
- Reference URL (DIH URL to access this data offer)
5.3 Order data
Click on Order in the detailed view of the data offer. (You can cancel the ordering process at any time by clicking on the X in the top left corner.)
- Check details: Confirm order. Is everything as desired? Please check the details of your order.
- Accept license: Review and accept terms of license. You can find a link to the license under “License”. Please read through it to see if the license fits your requirements. You need to accept the license details before concluding your order.
- Conclude order: After completing step 1 and step 2, click on the Conclude order button to complete the transaction.
Your orders should now be available under [Control Center] > [Orders]. Click on the View orders button to navigate your way to the orders section.
If you have already purchased the desired data offer, the Already ordered button will redirect you to [Control Center] > [Orders] where you will find the data offer you have already purchased.
If you have posted the data offer as a part of the organization, you will not be able to order your own dataset. Instead you will see the View our offers button.
5.4 Allocating ordered data to your workspace
In order to make use of the datasets in the data offer you have subscribed to; you first need to assign the data offer to your workspace. To do this,
- go to [Workspaces] > [My Workspace] > [Data]
- click Allocate data button to display an overlay box
- The overlay box displays all of the data offers that you have subscribed to under the Available offers Click on the check box next to your desired data offer to put it in the Selected offers section.
- Click on the Allocate data button to proceed with allocating the dataset to your workspace. You should now see the data allocated to your workspace.